The Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) was created to provide retirement and other benefits for Arizona employees, which include faculty, and employees of the state's political subdivisions who signed membership contracts. Maricopa Community Colleges is a Plan employer of the Arizona State Retirement System and all employees of MCCCD become members of the System once eligibility requirements are satisfied.
- All board-approved employees of MCCCD are required to participate in the ASRS program.
- Employees are required to make contributions to the ASRS Plan if they work for twenty hours or more per week for twenty weeks or more in a fiscal year.
- For Faculty, one load hour is equivalent to two clock hours.
- Board-approved employees must also contribute to the Social Security System.
Arizona State Retirement contributions will automatically be deducted from your paychecks. The state retirement withholding rate may change each fiscal year. Rates can be found on the ASRS web site.
Once an employee starts making contributions to the Plan, the employee becomes a "member" and begins earning credited service. Maricopa Community Colleges as a Plan employer will match the employee's contributions.
Normal Retirement Age
- 80 points (age + years of service)
- Age 62 with 10 years of service
- Age 65
Multiplier x credited service x average monthly compensation = estimated monthly benefit amount0.00 to 19.99 years of credited service 2.10%
20.00 to 24.99 years of credited service 2.15%
25.00 to 29.99 years of credited service 2.20%
30.00 or more years of credited service 2.30%
Benefits Available to Members
- Death benefits are payable to the named beneficiary upon the death of the non-retired member.
- Long-term disability benefits are available to active members who become totally disabled before retirement.
- Health insurance coverage is available to retired or disabled members.
Please refer to Arizona State Retirement System or call them at (602)240-2000 for more information about the ASRS benefit program.